On Thursday, February 6th, 2020, MediaJustice, and Media Mobilizing Project (soon to be renamed the Movement Alliance Project) launched “Mapping Pretrial Injustice” at pretrialrisk.com, a website that includes the first and only community-built database to publicly track the use of pretrial risk assessment tools (RATs) in more than 1,000 counties across the country.
Many jurisdictions across the country are adopting risk assessments to end the use of money bail without fully understanding or measuring the impact risk assessments have on the pretrial process in their communities, or on their jail populations. Therefore, this website was designed with the specific intention to support organizers and advocates fighting to end pretrial incarceration who must contend with how these instruments are actually placing additional barriers between people of color and our freedom.
During our webinar launch, we were joined by experts across the country, including:
- Sakira Cook, Justice Reform Program Director at The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Alan Ramirez, Bilingual Regional Organizer in North Carolina, for Southerners on New Ground (SONG).
- Rebecca Keel, Statewide and Campaign Organizer in Virginia, for Southerners on New Ground (SONG).
- Lola Rainey, Founder & Director of the Tucson Second Chance Community Bail Fund and Regional Organizer with Community Justice Exchange
- Cathy O’Neil, author of Weapons of Math Destruction and CEO of ORCAA
To watch a recording of our webinar, please visit MediaJustice’s YouTube channel.