We are a movement building network of over 100 social justice, media, and arts organizations collaborating for communication rights, access, and fair representation. Our approach is to organize and mobilize groups based in disenfranchised communities that work on the front lines of social change.Join the Network
Highlander Research and Education Center
Highlander serves as a catalyst for grassroots organizing and movement building in Appalachia and the South. Through popular education, participatory research and cultural work, we help create spaces — at Highlander and in local communities — where people gain knowledge, hope and courage, expanding their ideas of what is possible.
What We Do
BUILD a connected, multi-issue community of social justice, media, and arts organizations into an influential network that leads with bold vision and shared purpose.
MOBILIZE to confront power-holders and win democratic communication policies and practices at the local, state, and national level.
LEVERAGE our victories to generate shared financial and strategic resources that strengthen the communications and cultural leadership of the media justice sector and broader social justice movements.
Join us! Membership benefits include:
- Access to a listserv with 100+ organizations nationally
- Weekly email updates on funding and grant opportunities, the latest campaign news, and job opportunities
- Discounts on public trainings including digital organizing, fundraising, and much more
- Campaign tools including Phone2Action, which includes petitions, a text messaging system, and phone call platform to connect to legislators
- Access to our members-only Media Justice Learning Community (including recordings of skills building trainings!)
- Access to press lists both local and national
- Members-focused trainings on communications, fundraising, and more
- Invitation to strategic local and national convenings and trainings
- Campaign briefings on the latest media and technology issues at the intersection of racial and economic justice, including prison phone justice, open and affordable internet, big data and privacy, surveillance, and more.